Definition of Random Sample
- Random sample is a sample in which every individual or element in the population has an equal chance of being selected.
- Random sample is a representative of the entire population.
Examples of Random Sample
- The following are examples of random samples.
- An environmentalist took 9 samples of effluents of an industry at different points.
- A teacher chose a boy and a girl from a group of equally talented boys and girls to lead a parade.
Solved Example on Random Sample
Chris has 4 boxes of red, green, and blue marbles. He mixed all the marbles and picked 16 marbles randomly without looking. Would he get a random sample of marbles?
Correct answer: B
Step 1: Chris picked 16 marbles randomly from the box without looking, so he doesn’t know which color marble he picked up.
Step 2: All the three colored marbles have equal chance of being selected.
Step 3: So, the event of picking up the 16 marbles is a random sample.
Related Terms for Random Sample
Additional Links for Random Sample